According to the World Health Organization (WHO), there are more than 420 million people with diabetes in the world. This disease is the leading cause of blindness, myocardial infarction, lower limb amputation, among other things. However, good patient care coupled with the treatments to follow and good nutrition will avoid complications.
As for a healthy diet, there are some prohibited foods for those who suffer from diabetes. Which are? Meet the 10 most common foods here:
1) Foods based on sugars. In addition to having no nutritional value, they cause obesity, uncontrolled disease and high blood sugar spikes. Desserts, candies, jams, powdered flavors, etc. should be avoided.
2) Fruit juices. While fruits themselves are healthy options, juices are not. This is because the juices are full of the sugar in the fruit but lack the fiber (which is present before being liquefied). That is why the absorption of sugar is much faster, since fiber plays the role of delaying it.
3) Honey syrup. For example, those that are used for the preparation of hot cakes. Half a cup of honey syrup equals more than 15 tablespoons of sugar, so it is a burst of glucose.
4) Creams such as mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, among others. These cause an increase in body weight, which impairs the treatment of the disease.
5) Unhealthy fats, such as excessive use of oil, sausages and processed foods, increase cholesterol and increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.
6) Refined flour, such as those found in bread, biscuits, pizzas, etc. It is better to opt for similar foods that contain whole wheat.
7) Soft drinks. Another common product with high levels of sugars.
8) Whole dairy, such as butter, margarine, cream, among others. They are rich in fats and sugars, so it is better to opt for skim or light dairy.
9) In the same way, you have to avoid fried foods. The last option would be to prepare them with very little olive oil.
10) High-calorie coffees. A coffee can be unsafe for a person with diabetes. However, commercial coffees can contain up to 500 calories, which is equivalent to a large dessert, due to all the extra substances that add to it.